Sunday, October 3, 2010

Our Voices Kept For Jesus


"Keep my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King."

An excerpt from Kept for the Masters Use by Fances R. Havergal

"I have wondered a little at being told by an experienced worker, that in many cases the voice seems the last and hardest thing to yeild entirely to the King; and that many who think and say they have consecrated all to the Lord and His service, 'revolt' when it comes to be a question of whether they shall sing 'always, only' for their Kind. They do not mind singing a few general sacred songs, but the do not see their way to really singing always and only unto and for Him. They want to bargain and balance a little. They question and argue about what proportion they may keep for self-pleasing and company-pleasing, and how much they must 'give up'; and who will and who won't like it; and what they 'really must sing,; and what they 'really must not sing' at certain times and place; and what 'won't do,' and what they 'can't very well help,' and so on. And so when the question, 'How much owest thou unto my Lord?' is applied to this particularly pleasant gift, it is not met with the loyal, free hearted, happy response, 'All! yes, all for Jesus!'

... The words had passed your lips, 'Take my voice!' And yet you will not let Him have it; you will not let Him have that which costs you something, just because it cost you something! And yet He lent you that pleasant voice that you might use it for Him. And yet He, in the sureness of His perpetual presence, was beside you all the while, and heard every note as you sang the songs which were, as your inmost heart knew, not for Him.

Where is your faith? Where is the consecration you have talked about? The voice has not been kept for Him, because it has not been truly and unreservedly given to Him. Will you not now say, 'Take my voice, for I had not given it to Thee; keep my voice, for I cannot keep it for Thee'?

And He will keep it!"

This really spoke to me because I realized how often in my life, I have kept this precious gift that God has given me to myself, locked up so that no one else can hear it. How selfish! How unfaithful! I think a lot of times, its out of insecurity, but why should I be insecure when my Father and true Love in heaven holds my heart in His hands!? He is going to take care of me. He is going to use me. And He will do the same for you if you will let Him! Trust Him with everything, even our voices. We were made to sing praises to Him! He is the faithful One who will never let us go.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful insight on this subject. We certainly and first of all sing to our audience of one that is Christ, but also for the benefit of other believers, to encourage, to offer comfort, to testify to His goodness and faithfulness...so many reasons.

    This is very applicable to any gift really, anything He has given us, any word He gives us to share, any strength or belonging that passes through our hands.

    Excellent post Michelle.

    ReplyDelete